Coroner’s report

Day shift #1

We received a call that interrupted briefing, a report of a possible prowler in the early morning hours.  Several of us headed towards the house including our K9 officer.  After thoroughly checking the house and yard there was no sign of a prowler and the K9 didn’t pick up any sort of track.  There’s no doubt the complainant heard something and it was better to be safe than sorry.

The rest of the day I took some calls and generally assisted the public with everything from a neighbour dispute to animal remains found in the park and residential alarms.

Day shift #2

The day started out with several reports throughout most of the zone of similar damage to residences that happened over night.  3 of us were taking these calls and tried to link all the information and come up with suspects.  We’re still waiting for some possible video for the investigation.

The rest of my day I was the investigating officer for a sudden death.  A landlord hadn’t heard from their tenant in several days and went to check on them, discovering a scene that no one ever wants to see.  Out of respect for the deceased and their family I won’t be describing any details.  We had our forensic identification section attend as well as the coroner for the investigation.  We also had civilian volunteers from our Victim Services group attend to talk with the landlord, I can’t say enough good things about these volunteers who come out when called (at any time of the day or night) and help people through some very tough times.  I had to locate family of the deceased and make sure they were notified, and also had Victim Services contact them.  Once our investigation was complete I secured the scene then spoke with the landlord to ensure they had the support they needed and left to prepare my report.  Dealing with these scenes is definitely one aspect of the job no one looks forward to.

We have to investigate the scene, notify family, interview people who are understandably upset while dealing with the sights, sounds and smells ourselves.  We’re human and while we have no connection to the deceased we do have to develop our own coping mechanisms to deal with these calls.

Night shift #1

Grabbing an evening coffee led to a call on the radio to respond to an MVI.  Fortunately there were no injuries.  From the MVI, I assisted a platoon mate with a call to check the well being of a young lady who had recently begun partying and using methamphetamine and was starting to feel paranoid and delusional. She ended up going with EHS for a medical assessment.

The rest of the night I lurked around the shadows and prowled the streets looking for suspicious people or unsafe drivers.  I issued some tickets and served one driver with a driving prohibition who had a track record for unsafe driving.  The OSMV had reviewed his privilege to drive and temporarily prohibited him from driving.

In the early hours of the morning I followed a car as it left a local pub and displayed some driving behaviour that indicated to me the driver may have been impaired.  I pulled him over, he was impaired and was issued a 90 day driving prohibition and his car was impounded for 30 days.  The driver was on parole for a very serious crime and also had a condition not to consume alcohol.  Federal corrections was notified and a warrant revoking his parole was issued while we were roadside.  I transported him to cells where he’d be picked up in the morning and taken back to jail.  I spent the rest of the evening writing that report up.

Night shift #2

I’m on holidays next block so I took some time to make sure my paperwork was cleaned up tonight.  I assisted platoon mates with some calls, a delusional woman, searched for a missing 15 yr old (that was located by another platoon mate), a theft and a some residential alarms.

While out lurking on the streets again and reminding drivers to drive safely I came across a man laying in the street.  He was conscious but had collapsed.  We got him off the road safely and had EHS attend to check him out.  He’d been living on the streets for several months and was struggling with alcohol addiction and an illness.  The ambulance crew took him to the hospital to get checked out and try to determine why he’d collapsed.

As of tonight I’m on holidays for 12 days with no training planned so expect my next post in early October!  As this is the first post since the blog has officially gone live I’ll still be monitoring the blog for comments and potential discussion.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s